The idea of Club Waimea was born out of local Richmond people seeking a place with a friendly, sociable and community minded atmosphere that was able to offer more than just a Pub.
The first meeting was held at the Richmond Town Hall with approximately 35 people attending. This meeting was met with much enthusiasm and it was here that the initial processes were put into place to create what we now know as Club Waimea.
1970 WTCC registered as an Incorporated Society 9 5/8 acre block of land is purchased
1974 Charter granted under the then ‘Sale of Liquor Act’ Club Waimea was officially opened with 650 Members.
1978 Kitchen facilities extended to provide restaurant service
1979 Caravan Park with 58 sites opened (now 64 sites)
1981 Squash Complex with 4 courts opened
1983 Members Lounge extended
1988 All Weather Bowling Green opened with 8 rinks Licencing Commission raises membership limit to 1300
1989 Family Area extended from Restaurant to include Members Lounge, Activity Floor and Beer Garden
1991 Off Sales facility opened. Construction started on Snooker Room and Meeting Room
1992 Main Hall, Snooker Room and Meeting Room completed (officially opened 28 November 1992)
1995 Gaming Room opened
2002 Four Tourist Units opened Gaming Machine numbers increased to 18
2006 Major renovations, which included enlarging the Restaurant and the addition of two new function rooms.
2012 29 November a newly refurbished Outdoor Bowling Green, now with an all-weather green, and with the Richmond Bowling Club moving to our premises.